Start A Team
Want to start a Girls on the Run® team at your school or neighborhood site?
- A site liaison
- Volunteer coaches (see coach job description here)
- A site application - applications for the Fall 2013 season are due by June 14, 2013
- A safe place to run
Please read the information below for details about starting a site. If you are ready to to get started, please contact us. We are happy to meet with you, or your school administration, to talk further about starting a site.
GOTR – DC provides almost everything needed to run the program. The site would need to:
- Provide a safe place for running. This does not have to be a track. A field is fine. However, there would be a need to measure off part of the area for occasions when lessons require running a certain distance, e.g. 1 mile, 3k, etc.
- Provide a rain site (classroom, gym, etc.)
- Choose two days a week for meeting (60 to 90 minutes each lesson)
- Provide a contact person at the site to coordinate with GOTR – DC as a site liaison. This can be a staff member, teacher, principal, PTA president, parent and/or interested member of that particular community.
- A coach and/or assistant that would be trained by GOTR-DC. The site must provide one coach per team; GOTR-DC will provide all remaining coaches.
We require a minimum of 8 girls and limit each group to a maximum of 15 girls. The minimum is based upon both financial, legal and curriculum considerations. Because much of our curriculum is related to team building and group dynamics, fewer than 8 girls may make it difficult to provide the experience we want to offer to the girls and more than 15 girls makes it difficult to establish the group rapport and the depth of community we are seeking.
Fees and Scholarships
Our current fee per session is based on household income. Girls pay based on a sliding scale. Scholarships are available as well.
|Household income||Program Fee|
|$75,000 – $99,999||$130|
Included in the fee price are:
- the 24, one-hour lessons conducted by certified GOTR coaches;
- lesson handouts and materials;
- Girls on the Run® gear (t-shirt and/or water bottle)
- Girls on the Run® support for any participation in a 5k race;
- end of season certificates and awards.
Scholarship Shoe Program: New Balance, one of our corporate sponsors, also helps us to provide free running shoes to those whose financial situations make buying appropriate shoes difficult. If a girl participating in the program needs a pair of running shoes, please contact the GOTR-DC Program Director.
Complete A Site Application
Fall 2013 site applications are due by June 14, 2013! Click here to get started.